Department of Neurology
University of Kentucky Medical Center
KY Clinic, J-401
Lexington, KY 40536-0284
Dr Ashwini Kini completed her initial education in India and later medical school at Kasturba medical college in India. Thereafter she did residency in Ophthalmology ,2 years of research fellowship at University of Louisville, KY and later 1 year of Neuro-ophthalmology clinical fellowship training at Houston Methodist Hospital. Her clinical interests include optic neuropathies, cranial motor neuropathies, demyelinating and genetic diseases. In her leisure time she likes to cook, travel and spend time with her husband and 2 daughters.
Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, India- Medical school
Bangalore Medical College- Post graduate training
Houston Methodist Hospital- Fellowship
Clinical and Research Interest:
- Ischemic optic neuropathy
- Cranial motor neuropathy
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS)
- CITI Human Subject Research Certification
- UK Neurology Handover Certification
- NIH Stroke Scale Certification
University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center
American Academy of Neurology
Publications and Abstracts Presentations:
- Presented a paper titled “Surgical outcome in Vitreomacular interface disorders” at Kerala State Ophthalmic conference, held on November 22nd – 24th 2013, Calicut, Kerala.
- Presented poster titled “Awareness of diabetic retinopathy in urban population” at All India Ophthalmic conference, held on February 2011, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
- Presented poster titled “Accidental ophthalmic artery Onyx embolisation for Meningioma-Vision lost in an attempt to preserve” at North American Neuro-ophthalmologic society (NANOS) meet 2019 March 16-21 at Las Vegas, Nevada
- Presented poster titled “Pseudo-Internuclear Ophthalmoplegia as the Presenting Sign of Giant Cell Arteritis” at North American Neuro-ophthalmologic society (NANOS) meet 2019 March 16-21 at Las Vegas, Nevada
- Presented poster titled “The Localizing Value of the Relative Afferent Pupillary Defect in Patients with Efferent Ocular Disease” at North American Neuro-ophthalmologic society (NANOS) meet 2019 March 16-21 at Las Vegas, Nevada
- Poster titled “Seeing the forest for the trees- Case of Posterior cortical atrophy” Texas A and M poster competition.
- Subhan Tabba, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. Ocular neuromyotonia and Heimann Beilchowsky phenomenon- a spectrum. Oral Presentation at the International Conference on Eye Diseases (Eye 2019), July 15-17th in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- Grant Hopping, Subhan Tabba, Rui Wand, Bayan Al Othman, Ashwini Kini, Andrew G Lee. Simultanagnosia as a presenting sign in neuro-ophthalmology. EYE 2019.
- Smiley H, Lee AG, Winters J, Niespodzany E, Kini A, Othman B. Rapid same day resolution of INO in treated Wernicke syndrome. 42nd Annual Christian Ophthalmology Society Meeting, Kansas City, Missouri, USA. August 2019.
- Faculty speaker on “Medicolegal cases in Neuro-ophthalmology” at Eighth Annual symposium on enhancing Geriatric understanding and Education(SEGUE),4/6/2019. Houston Methodist, Houston, Texas
- Kini A, Prakash V.S, Suresh P, Bhandari P L. Progressive Hemifacial Atrophy with ciliary body atrophy and ocular hypotony- a case report. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology:.Year 2015, Volume 63, Issue 1 [p. 61-63]
- Kini A, Fu R, Compton C, Miller DM, Ramasubramanian A. Pembrolizumab for Recurrent Conjunctival Melanoma. JAMA Ophthalmol. Published online July 13, 2017. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2017.2279
- Kini Ashwini M.D.*; Syed, Reema M.D.*; Compton, Christopher M.D.*; Hata, Jessica L. M.D.†; Ramasubramanian, Aparna M.D. Sphenoid Dysplasia: A Rare Presentation of Infantile Myofibroma. Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. January 17, 2018 - Volume Publish Ahead of Print - Issue
- Ashwini Kini, Sowmya Yennam, Bayan Al othman, Andrew G lee: Beware of wolf in a sheep’s clothing in your eye clinic. US Ophthalmic Review. 2019;12(1):40–2
- Ashwini Kini, Igbinoba Randy, Bayan Al-Othman, Andrew G Lee: Roth spots in Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Ophthalmology Times. May 2019, Issue 8
- Ashwini Kini, Niloufar Rohani, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee: Commentary:Recurrent elevated ICP in patient on rechallenge to Tetracyline group drug. Cutis. 2019 March;103(3):142,156
- Jonathan A. Go, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Thomas C. Prager, Andrew G. Lee: Presumed bilateral nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Can J Ophthalmol. 2019 Oct;54(5):e241-e244. doi: 10.1016/j.jcjo.2019.01.011. Epub 2019 Mar 1
- Zane Foster, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee: Seeing is not believing. Clinical case challenges. Surv Ophthalmol. 2019 Apr
- Iris Zhang, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee: Abducens nerve palsy and ipsilateral Horner syndrome as the presenting finding of carotid cavernous fistula
-Can J Ophthalmol. 2019 Oct;54(5):e247-e249. doi: 10.1016/j.jcjo.2019.02.003. Epub 2019 Apr 18
- Aryan Marandi, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee: The Sign of the Cross. Survey of Ophthalmology, May 2019.
- Meesha Khatkar, Subhan Tabba, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. Wernicke encephalopathy. The University of Texas McGovern Medical School Journal of Medicine Volume 2, Issue 2 June 2019
- Guadalupe Torres, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. Familial cavernous hemangioma. Eye and CNS. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology 2019;00:1–3
- Guadalupe Torres, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. CT image of onyx in ophthalmic artery post embolisation for meningioma. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology 2019;00:1–3
- Baig IF, Pascoe AR, Kini A, Lee AG. Giant cell arteritis: early diagnosis is key. Eye Brain. 2019 Jan 17;11:1-12. doi: 10.2147/EB.S170388
- Rui Wang, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. IIH and papilledema. Glaucoma Today. Jan/Feb 2019.
- Jacob Winters, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. Leber Hereditary Optic Neuropathy: a 41-year interval between fellow eye involvement. CJO
- Jacob Winters, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. Rapid same-day resolution of internuclear ophthalmoplegia in Wernicke encephalopathy following parenteral high dose thiamine. CJO
- Rui Wang, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman. Recurrent optic neuritis presenting after 25 years as NMO positive Chiasmitis. J Neuroophthalmol. 2019 Aug 22. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0000000000000825
- Subhan Tabba, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. Ocular neuromyotonia and Heimann Bielchowsky overlap syndrome. Neuro-Ophthalmology. September 2019. DOI:10.1080/01658107.2019.1648520
- Naomi Hasegawa, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee.Wernicke in ophthalmology. ATPO viewpoints.
- Travis Mitchell, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. Orbital Inflammatory disease. ATPO Viewpoints
- Mariam Hussain, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. Arteritic orbital ischemia producing afferent and efferent pupillary defect. J Neuroophthalmol. 2019 Sep 10. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0000000000000838.
- Sahas Narain, Ashwini Kini, Aparna Subramanian.Advancements in the Management of Optic Pathway Gliomas.In book: Ocular Oncology.July 2019. DOI:10.1007/978-981-13-7538-5_4
- Bayan Al Othman, Jaared Raabe, Ashwini Kini, Andrew G Lee. c. Miller Fisher variant of GBS. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2019 Sep 20. doi: 10.1097/ICU.0000000000000611
- Jonathan Go, Bayan Al Othman, Ashwini Kini, Andrew G Lee. Vertebrobasilar ischemia (VBI) related neuro-ophthalmic syndromes after routine activities involving hyperextension or rotation of the neck (hairdresser syndrome). Eye (Lond). 2019 Sep 30. doi: 10.1038/s41433-019-0611-z
- Aryan Marandi, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman, Andrew G Lee. Dry temporal artery biopsy.A bloodless field. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Jul 9. doi: 10.1097/IOP.0000000000001409.
- Jensen GL1, Al Othman B, Kini A, Prospero Ponce CM, Lee AG. INO as a presenting sign of GCA.J Neuroophthalmol. 2019 Oct 10. doi:10.1097/WNO.0000000000000843
- Panneerselvam S1, Al Othman B, Kini A, Lee AG. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformation related embolic stroke causing thalamic esotropia. J Neuroophthalmol. 2019 Oct 11. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0000000000000866
- Rui Wang, Grant Hopping, Bayan Al Othman, Ashwini Kini, Subhan Tabba, Andrew G Lee. Simultanagnosia after ventriculoperitoneal shunt placement for obstructive hydrocephalus.October 2019.Proceedings (Baylor University. Medical Center)DOI: 10.1080/08998280.2019.1656013
- Jaared Raabe, Bayan Al Othman, Ashwini Kini, Andrew G Lee. Vision loss post ONSF. Orbit
- Bayan Al Othman, Jared Raabe, Amina Malik, Helen Li, Ashwini Kini & Andrew G. Lee (2019) Transient vision loss after optic nerve sheath fenestration, Orbit, DOI: 10.1080/01676830.2019.1668433
- Ashley N. Anderson; Jonathan A. Go; Ashwini Kini, MDb; Bayan Al Othman, MDb; Andrew G. Lee, MD. Apraclonidine Treatment for Apraxia of Eyelid Opening. Letter to editor. Eye.October 2019.DOI: 10.1038/s41433-019-0621-x
- Anisha Somani, Bayan Al Othman, Ashwini Kini, Andrew G Lee. Bilateral scalp necrosis in GCA.J Neuroophthalmol. 2019 Oct 15. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0000000000000862. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sowmya Yennam, Ashwini Kini, Bayan Al Othman. 6th nerve palsy as a presenting sign of CNS spread of sporadic Burkitt lymphoma. AJOC.September 2019.DOI: 10.1016/j.ajoc.2019.100565