Department of Neurology
University of Kentucky Medical Center
KY Clinic, J-401
Lexington, KY 40536-0284
Dr Abusamra completed her medical education at the University of Jordan in Amman. Thereafter she did residency in Ophthalmology, followed by one year of clinical research in medical retina in Buffalo NY. This was followed by clinical training in neuro-ophthalmology at MSU in Michigan and clinical training in uveitis and ocular immunology in Boston MA. Dr Abusamra clinical interests include optic neuritis and demyelinating brain disease in addition to neuromuscular diseases. In her leisure time she likes to spend time with her husband and 3 children. Hobbies include painting and cooking.
- University of Jordan College of Medicine
- University of Jordan- Post graduate training
- Ross Eye institute
- Michigan State University
- The Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation/MERSI
2019 to present, Neurology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Brain immunology
Clinical and Research Interest:
- Optic neuritis
- Inflammatory brain disease
- Neuromuscular diseases
University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center
American Academy of Neurology
- LONG-TERM OUTCOMES OF RITUXIMAB THERAPY IN PATIENTS WITH NONINFECTIOUS POSTERIOR UVEITIS REFRACTORY TO CONVENTIONAL IMMUNOSUPPRESSIVE THERAPY. Lasave AF, You C, Ma L, Abusamra K, Lamba N, Valdes Navarro M, Meese H, Foster CS.Retina. 2018 Feb;38(2)
- Prognosis of Ocular Myasthenia Gravis: Retrospective Multicenter Analysis. Nagia L, Lemos J, Abusamra K, Cornblath WT, Eggenberger ER.Ophthalmology. 2015 Jul;122(7):1517-21.
- Current Treatment Modalities of JIA-associated Uveitis and its Complications: Literature Review. Abu Samra K, Maghsoudlou A, Roohipoor R, Valdes-Navarro M, Lee S, Foster CS.Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2016 Aug;24(4):431-9
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's disease): An updated review of ocular disease manifestations. Kubaisi B, Abu Samra K, Foster CS.Intractable Rare Dis Res. 2016 May;5(2):61-9
- Long-term side effects of glucocorticoids. Oray M, Abu Samra K, Ebrahimiadib N, Meese H, Foster CS.Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2016;15(4):457-65.
- Intraocular Lymphoma: Descriptive Data of 26 Patients Including Clinico-pathologic Features, Vitreous Findings, and Treatment Outcomes.Abu Samra K, Oray M, Ebrahimiadib N, Lee S, Anesi S, Foster CS.Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2018;26(3):347-352.
- A Novel NOD2-associated Mutation and Variant Blau Syndrome: Phenotype and Molecular Analysis. Ebrahimiadib N, Samra KA, Domina AM, Stiles ER, Ewer R, Bocian CP, Foster CS.Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2018;26(1):57-64.
- The eye and visual system in pregnancy, what to expect? An in-depth review.Samra KA.Oman J Ophthalmol. 2013 May;6(2):87-91.
- A case of bilateral uveitis and papillitis in a patient treated with pembrolizumab. Abu Samra K, Valdes-Navarro M, Lee S, Swan R, Foster CS, Anesi SD.Eur J Ophthalmol. 2016 Apr 12;26(3):e46-8
- Are phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors associated with vision-threatening adverse events? A critical analysis and review of the literature. Azzouni F, Abu samra K.J Sex Med. 2011 Oct;8(10):2894-903.
- Ocular morbidities of juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated uveitis in adulthood: results from a tertiary center study.Oray M, Khachatryan N, Ebrahimiadib N, Abu Samra K, Lee S, Foster CS.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2016 Sep;254(9):1841-9
- Understanding the Neuro-ophthalmology of Head Trauma: A Review of the Current Literature. Samra KA.Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila). 2014 Jul-Aug;3(4):230-4
- The eye and visual system in the preeclampsia/eclampsia syndrome: What to expect?Abu Samra K.Saudi J Ophthalmol. 2013 Jan;27(1):51-3.
- Pseudoexfoliation syndrome at Jordan University Hospital. Al-Bdour MD, Al-Till MI, Idrees GM, Abu Samra KM.Acta Ophthalmol. 2008 Nov;86(7):755-7
- The eye in sexually transmitted infections: a review of the ocular complications of venereal diseases.Abu Samra K, Azzouni F.Int Ophthalmol. 2011 Dec;31(6):539-50.
- Risk Factors for Diabetic Retinopathy among Jordanian Diabetics. Al-Bdour MD, Al-Till MI, Abu Samra KM.Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2008 Apr;15(2):77-80
- Decompression Retinopathy after ExPRESS Shunt Implantation for Steroid-Induced Ocular Hypertension: A Case Report. Abu Samra K, Fernando Sieminski S, Sarup V.Case Rep Ophthalmol Med. 2011;2011:303287
- Ocular Cicatricial Pemphigoid Ophthalmology Guide
- Handbook of Uveitis
- Rituxan treatment for PUK associated with GPA: ARVO 2016
- Prognostic Factors of Final Visual Outcome After Open Globe Injury. ARVO 2012
- Subfoveal Serous Retinal Detachment in Central Retinal Vein Occlusion.
- Vimal Sarup MD, Khawla Abusamra MD, Deepa Yoganathan MD, FR
- Tolosa Hunt syndrome: CORO TV 10/5/2012
- Neurosarcoidosis: recurring nightmare. Great lakes meeting 8/3/2012.