Department of Neurology
University of Kentucky Medical Center
KY Clinic, J-401
Lexington, KY 40536-0284
Dr. Emily Justusson joined the Neurology program at UK after completing her intern year in Family Medicine at the Mayo Clinic. Although she enjoys all aspects of General Neurology, she is particularly interested in areas of overlap between Neurology and Psychiatry, such as functional neurological disorders. She was honored to be elected academic chief resident for 2017-2018 academic year, and enjoys playing an active role in resident education. Outside of work, Dr. Justusson enjoys spending time with her family and pets, cooking, hiking, travel, and dancing Argentine tango.
2014, MD, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
2015 to present Resident, Neurology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
2014 to 2015 Resident, Family Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Behavioral Neurology & Neuropsychiatry
Clinical and Research Interests
Functional neurological disorders, Behavioral Neurology
2008 BA Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Reed College, Portland, OR
Kentucky Medical License
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS)
- Handover Certification
- NIH Stroke Scale Certification
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Neuropsychiatric Association
- Academic Chief Resident 2017-2018
- Residency Recruitment Committee 2016-2017
- Resident of the Month, University of Kentucky Department of Neurology, August 2016
- Alternate Neurology Representative to House Staff Council, University of Kentucky, 2016-2017
Publications and Abstracts
- Justusson E, Han DD, Kapoor S, Smith JH. Odorant-Triggered Migraine Attacks in a Case of Iatrogenic Olfactory Neuropathy. Headache. 2016 Oct;56(9):1512-1513. doi: 10.1111/head.12899. PubMed PMID: 27699779.
- Beadling C, Patterson J, Justusson E, Nelson D, Pantaleo MA, Hornick JL, Chacón M, Corless CL, Heinrich MC. Gene expression of the IGF pathway family distinguishes subsets of gastrointestinal stromal tumors wild type for KIT and PDGFRA. Cancer Med. 2013 Feb;2(1):21-31. doi: 10.1002/cam4.57. Epub 2013 Feb 3. PubMed PMID: 24133624; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3797556.
- Beadling C, Heinrich MC, Warrick A, Forbes EM, Nelson D, Justusson E, Levine J, Neff TL, Patterson J, Presnell A, McKinley A, Winter LJ, Dewey C, Harlow A, Barney O, Druker BJ, Schuff KG, Corless CL. Multiplex mutation screening by mass spectrometry evaluation of 820 cases from a personalized cancer medicine registry. J Mol Diagn. 2011 Sep;13(5):504-13. doi: 10.1016/j.jmoldx.2011.04.003. Epub 2011 Jul 2. Erratum in: J Mol Diagn. 2012 Jul;14(4):418. PubMed PMID: 21726664; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3157616.
- Corless CL, Beadling C, Justusson E, Heinrich MC. Evaluation of the presence of IGF1R overexpression in wild-type and kinase mutant GI stromal tumors. J Clin Onc. 2009 May; 27(15S): 10506. DOI: 10.1200/jco.2009.27.15_suppl.10506 Journal of Clinical Oncology 27, no. 15_suppl (May 2009) 10506-10506. PMID: 27963697. (Abstract)
- Justusson E, Jicha G, Head E, Anderson-Mooney AJ, Schmitt F. Frontal release signs in down syndrome: association with dementia. Poster presentation. University of Kentucky Neurology Trainee Research Day. Lexington, KY. May 2017.
- Anderson-Mooney AJ, Justusson E, Brothers SL, Wells J, Downing E, Uber M, Han DD, Schmitt FA, Murphy RR. Utility of the 5-minute MoCA and in-depth screening of cognitive deficits in acute stroke. Poster presentation. American Neuropsychiatric Association Annual Meeting. March 2017.
- Murphy RR, Schmnitt FA, Han DD, Brothers SL, Wells J, Downing EC, Uber MM, Justusson E, Anderson-Mooney AJ. Initial Validity of the Lexington Acute Stroke Scale – Inpatient (LASS-I) as compared to established measures of stroke severity and disability. Poster presentation. American Neuropsychiatric Association Annual Meeting. March 2017.
- Justusson E, Han DD, Kapoor S, Smith JH. Odorant-induced migraine attacks in a case of iatrogenic olfactory neuropathy. Poster presentation. University of Kentucky Neurology Trainee Research Day. Lexington, KY. May 2016.